- This event has passed.
Modelling Environmental Processes
March 15 @ 8:00 am – March 19 @ 5:00 pm GMT
An introduction to the full suite of environmental models and modelling methods that are currently used to describe and predict environmental processes and outcomes. The objective of this course is to give an overview of the different types of models currently being used to describe environmental processes and how they are being applied in practice.
What you will learn
On successful completion of this course you will be able to:
- Identify and evaluate the standard types of numerical models in use in environmental sciences (including soil, water, ecosystems and atmosphere),
- Formulate the generic process of model design, building, calibration and validation. Recognize some of the uncertainties introduced in this process,
- Assess the model building process in the context of the system under consideration,
- Construct a model of environmental processes and modify it into a user friendly environment,
- Determine the impact and relevancy of environmental models to policy and scientific discourse.
- Introduction to the wide range of applications of numerical models in environmental sciences. Lectures will cover examples of models applied in climate, soil, water, natural ecosystems and atmosphere and others,
- Overview of the types of models applied; mechanistic, semi-empirical and empirical models. Why these different forms exist, their strengths and weaknesses. How they are applied?
- Introduction to systems analysis. Overview of the basic concepts and how this relates to model design,
- Introduction to numerical solutions and empirical solutions to model parameterization and calibration,
- Identifying what makes models powerful. Predictions, Scenario and Sensitivity testing,
- Recognizing limits and uncertainties; validating the model. Recognizing the importance of good data,
- Practical applications of environmental models. How this is done, in what programming language?
TO RESERVE A PLACE PRE-PURCHASE, PLEASE COMPLETE FORM BELOW. WE CAN HOLD PLACES FOR 28 DAYS BEFORE A PAYMENT PLAN IS COMPLETED.